Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Getting older by the minute

The day began badly.

There was a knock on the door at 3.40 a.m. And then another. “Bart” I said. Nothing. I turned the light on. “Bart there is somebody at the door” Nothing. I get up and acknowledged the knock on the door after just under 3 hours sleep. It was only when I shook Bart's foot that he woke up and got ready for his 4 o'clock taxi. He wandered off but that, plus some irritating mosquitoes, did it for my sleep.

I was up at 6.30, too early for breakfast. Well, I wasn't really, although it was before advertised time. After three consecutive mornings I couldn't face more tasteless cheese, dried up cucumber and tomatoes plus dry bread (and salami for the carnivores) so I had some fruit juice and headed for the train station. For some reason the train ticket office is only open from 14.00 to 15.30 each day so I was ticketless but the guy let me on anyway. Bart had predicted that, either I would sleep through my alarm, or they wouldn't let me on the train and I would end up on a horribly uncomfortable bus, of which there were plenty, as opposed to one train a day at 07.30. When I saw the slatted wooden seats with a curve in the back to make you sit up straight I begun to wish he had been right.

Not much chance of catching up with my kip then, although I did nod off a few times in the five hours it took on a trouble-free ride to Odessa. Trouble free but not boredom free; train is my favourite form of transport but there was remarkably little to look at, at least out of the window.

Odessa railway station – no tourist information, no ATM, nothing in English, in fact nothing I could understand because everything is in the cyrillic alphabet. Hmm, my Ukaranian (and Russian come to that) is significantly worse that my Moldovan. In fact Moldovans speak a romance language (called Roumanian) so you can understand some words and guess some others – and not just because it is written in Roman Script.

This is looking tricky. When I first arrived in China I obviously had a similar problem but then I was travelling with an Israeli friend who had been before, we were met at the airport, had people to help us, stayed in a flash hotel and the street signs were written in Roman Script as well as Chinese (not that that helped much to begin with when I couldn't pronounce anything.) I was beginning to think that guide books were, perhaps, not such a bad idea if it is a bit difficult. Anyway, after about twenty minutes I found an ATM that worked. Slight problem was that, as I was using the machine, three guys who were chatting away came up to the machine. Did they wait behind – er no. I looked up and there is one very large guy leaning on the wall to my right, another large guy leaning on the wall to my left and I knew that there was a third one behind me but it was broad daylight in a busy street. I grabbed my cash, ducked under the arm of the guy on my left and exited hastily. It was just a case of different culture but things were not at their best in my mind.

Found an open restaurant – I was hungry, it was one p.m. by then and I hadn't eaten or drunk anything. The lady didn't speak any English but I had the trusty “Point It” book that Lori had leant me and that got me a damn good fish salad and, of course, I can get beer anywhere in the world (yet another country where it is called “pivo”). I was feeling better because I was fed and watered and the young lad there helped me as he did speak some English. “wifi” seems to be universal and they had it so I booked a hotel and got the lad to get me a taxi and he put me in it with directions to who knows where. It is rather sad that when someone helps you, you say thanks and never think of them again but I suppose that I, and, one hopes, both of my readers, have done the same on many occasions. The taxi driver wandered all over the place until he had got the price over €2 and then dropped me at the right place. Reception was on the top floor of this rather obscure building so it took me a while to find it and, of course, nobody speaks English. From then on it was great – nice room, pleasant streets – a street near me is pedestrianised with lots of bars and varied nationalities of restaurants on it and bouncy castles, springboards etc. This felt like a city on a Sunday afternoon when people were enjoying themselves. (I later learnt that this was downtown – there are some rougher areas but after Chisanau …)

A wander past the port, which is very active with lots of containers on the docks, not to mention massive heaps of coal waiting to be hoovered up. It seemed to be thriving and not missing being a base for the USSR Black Sea Fleet. I arrived at the beach which seemed to have more concrete than sand but lots of people enjoying themselves. I had acquired a map so I was confident in finding my way back despite the fact that the spelling on the map was somewhat different from the spelling on the road signs. Both were in cyrillic but careful matching revealed significant differences e.g, many names on the map began with, say, k but the street names began ek; you just have to try and make sense of the key middle group of characters. I am such an arrogant type that I believe that I can navigate despite such minor difficulties. I count the junctions and turnings and always claim to know where I am. Why are people always asking for directions from me? Three in an hour, two in ten minutes today – my ex-wife was amazed that I could direct somebody to Brooklyn Bridge within 24 hours of arriving in New York. Occasionally I am right.

Back in to town, more TMS, a good dinner and bed. That was me done for the day, I had been up for quite a while.

The day began well.

Not exactly up with the lark but good enough to find a decent website that had lots of information about travel options so off to find their office. But first a good breakfast; an interesting omlette, coffee and an unusual array of fruit and vegetables in my juice, such a contrast to Moldova. Then off I go and I begin to realise that I am in a bit rougher area of the city. Not complete crap but not so “luuuverely” - buildings a bit rundown, not so many “nice” shops, banks appeared to be non-existent – you get the idea. Anyway after a decent stroll and a bit of a struggle with Ukaranian building numbering I found the people I was looking for on the fifth floor of some non-descript building. They were extremely helpful and if you are ever in this neck of the woods try http://travel-2-ukraine.com

I decided to locate the railway station for future reference. Tricky. I saw this building with a large dome on top of it with a flag that looked as though it was near the railway station and I thought that I should look at it after I located the aforementioned place for the dispatching of people on public transport.

Diversion did occur as I was getting thirsty (it is thirtyish here, about eight degrees warmer than Moldova) when I looked in one of those big fridges that normally hold all sorts of variety of shit made by coca-cola. There was nothing in it but beer and, wait for it, I walked away and went into a shop to buy a tonic water. I saw a couple of other similar fridges but it was typical of the area I was coming in to around the railway station – run down, people selling cheap shit on the streets, megamarkets – quite similar to Chishinau, just not so prevalent.

It will come as no surprise to some of you that my complacency about my navigation abilities came unstuck. After a good ¾ of an hour wandering around I finally located the train-station under the aforementioned dome with a flag so there was no need to look at or for it after all.

Ukraine, like Moldova, seems, mercifully, relatively uncontaminated by the evils of religion. There are, by western European standards, very few churches. However, I rather like the onion-dome shaped cupolas and have tried to go in to a couple. Yes, they were closed; the god of consumerism reigns in Eastern Europe too. (The following day, I did get in one and it was rather pleasant. The design lines are similar to drab northern European churches but it was light and airy inside with white being the predominant colour, not bloody gold as in Catholic churches or grey as in Protestant ones. The impression was rather ruined by a shouting woman being dragged out on her arse by a couple of heavies – I kid you not, I couldn't make that up.)

Why are eastern European women so beautiful? Sorry ladies, girls, feminists and other assorted people of a different gender and sexual orientation than me but I have no idea what makes for a handsome man (apart from the fact that he doesn't look like me) and have no interest in finding out. The simple fact is that they (Eastern European women even including Moldovans, not men) are not more beautiful; just more careful. There are a few stunners but not many, just as in any society. What they don't do is get complacent, so many women of fortyish are still damn good looking. You see a woman walking round with a six year old girl and you think that they must be sisters but you can tell by their behaviour that they are not. In England if a girl is stupid enough to have a kid at the age of sixteen or seventeen she looks thirty-five when she is twenty odd, not here. It is an interesting contrast with, say, Cuba where the girls at sixteen are all stunning – lovely figures, great complexions, a magnificent mix of racial backgrounds, fabulous eyes etc. but by eighteen they have all reached the legally required minimum weight of seventy-five kilograms no matter how short they are and a lot of them are under 1 metre 60. Of course this is not to say that Eastern European women are that good looking – after seven years in the Far East I can say, with at least a seventy per cent certainty, that if a woman looks like she is eighteen she is less than thirty.

OK, I have pissed off all the women, PC men, gays, feminists and assorted ignorant liberal-minded people etc. So, Gary, shall I bother continuing?

An audience of one does mean that you don't have to hold back!

One last thing on the subject of women and affection. Here, as you will see further east, lots of young women holding hands or hugging each other. What a shame that westeners are so restrained that we think that women holding hands are gay - and we look askance at them and cannot just accept that life is like that. Or am I just being a male chauvanistic pig as normal?.

Actually my next subject is pretty innocuous – traffic lights. I first came across the countdown timers at traffic lights in China a dozen years ago and have seen them for both cars and pedestrians in a few countries since. What the Ukranians have done is add flashing green lights for car drivers. They (the drivers not the lights) know that the four or five flashes precede the lights going amber so they can gun it or slow down whichever takes their mood. Isn't that sensible? Why don't we do it? The law in the UK says that you must approach a set of lights at such a speed that you can stop so if you are two feet short of the line you should be down to 2 mph, if you are two inches you should be well below baby crawling speed – cyclists remember that the next time the cops give you a hard time for jumping the lights. Having said that if there is no timer for the pedestrians you had better be damn quick, once the light turns red you have about three seconds before it goes green for the cars.

So what do you predict doing on your sixty-first birthday? Today is mine and fifty years ago I wouldn't have predicted spending it on a beach in Odessa, nor twenty years ago, nor a year ago, nor last week. Just as well really because I didn't. I had planned to but I had to move rooms and this took until 1 p.m. When they moved me into a room with a three piece leather suite and a jacuzzi what was I supposed to do?

Actually I went back to the railway station for the third day in a row to make sure I could go again on the fourth. I joined a queue, after ten minutes the shutter came down on the guy in front of me saying that she had gone for a ten minute tea break. And some of you think that I am not a linguistic expert. I joined another queue to be told that I was in the wrong queue and go over there somewhere. A bit tricky. However, there were some signs in English (contrary to my first experience) and “advance bookings” did the trick. I was smart enough not to join the queue where the lady was soon to go for a tea break and after twenty minutes or so got to the counter. I had attempted, in my immaculate handwriting, to write Kiev in English, Ukaranian and Russian plus the date and time of the train I required. Any questions were answered with a nod and I appear to have the correct ticket. Piece of piss dealing with Johny Foreigner in her own lingo.

In my mega room the jacuzzi didn't jacuzz but at least it was a big bath to lay in for an hour or so.

I decided that I would have a damn good dinner then go to a blues bar that I had spotted. Now some of you know that music is not very important in my life and I am certainly not very keen on blues but....

In fact Odessa has some rather impressive 19th century architecture. The city was only founded just over 200 years ago by that very impressive German lady – Catherine the Great. This is much more my field – history (plus cinema and theatre but I am not sure that my Ukranian or Russian is up to either- hence the blues bar) but the place is really too new for a lot of good architecture.

Dinner was excellent, helped by a waitress who spoke good English and recommended a couple of vodkas and a pud. Actually her recommendations were crap but she tried hard and did get me a ten per cent discount – ooh, how difficult was that. Obviously the tip was … Hm, I don't know.

Found the Blues Bar. Empty with football on the many TVs. You can't win em all. So I was back in the hotel by 11. Should have remembered where the clearly labelled in English “Strip Club” was. Ooh, yet more readers gone. Oops no – just Gary left and now he has gone.

One last thing about Odessa. It is a tourist town – mainly for Russians although I did hear somebody speaking English tonight for the first time. I rushed away, obviously. Tourism does mean horse rides in the street, people dressed up and painted in one colour to stand still (I wonder why anybody gives them money), snakes and small crocodiles to wrap round your neck – that sort of shit. One thing I saw today was people climbing across various difficulties on rope bridges. A bit different and, doubtless, health and safety would stop it in England but it looked like fun. One of those things that you would have done it if there were two of you but not on your own.

I have been wondering over the last few days if my appetite for aimless wandering on my own is nearing its end. Let's face it, I have spent many hundreds of days wandering round towns and cities looking for something interesting (remember, I detest shopping) and many places are not that interesting but, unlike Chishanau, I like Odessa.

So maybe there is hope. But I would rather go walking up something big.

Maybe it is time to go diving.

No comments:

Post a Comment